Tuesday, November 4, 2014

10/23/14

10/23- Day 69

When I woke up this morning, it felt like I was waking up to my cozy, warm bed at home on Christmas morning. I swear I haven’t slept this warm in 2 ½ months. As I started to come to, the soreness in my legs, back, and feet brought me to the realization that I was NOT home. And the odor coming from the depths of my sleeping bag assured me that I was indeed not in Good Hope, Illinois, but 4 days deep backpacking in the mountains and about to embark on another full day of hiking to our next destination.
            I accredit my comfort to two lovely ladies—Jill and Vick—on my right and hearty, warm Greg on my left, with their body heat radiating throughout the megamid keeping everyone toasty (…Much more so than my bivy sack has ever kept me!) Though I was not where I know as “home”, I can tell you waking up next to my ECOEE family at Joe Crane Lake on this frosty Thursday morning felt just the same.
            These past few days have been very nontraditional as a grad assistant. Instead of joining my partner Jeff as he took off to retrieve the vans, I trekked on with Vickey, Jill, and Greg for “final expedition”. Which is a fancy way of saying, “heading out ‘solo’ from the other groups and Jeff to navigate back to the vans by noon Friday, with only compass and maps”.
            Living on the inside… or outside, depending on your perspective… has been an eye-opening experience. Camping, cooking, and traveling alongside these three individuals for 48 hrs straight for the first time since meeting them in January, really forced me to get to know them on a new level. Working together to “master” navigation skills and motivating one another literally up and down mountains and mile after mile has been a tremendous blessing to be apart of.
            Today wasn’t as long and treacherous of a hike as yesterday’s, but it was certainly a gem day. We were packed and ready to set out shortly after the sun rose and the dromedary thawed, allowing us to fuel up with breakfast and hot drinks. The trail and elevation loss made the miles short and smooth compared to the previous days’. We even took an extended break at beautiful Cora Lake, our original planned campsite, where I dipped my blistered, pulsating feet in the cold water and filled Nalgene’s, while others basked in the sun upon a boulder overlooking the lake. Pure bliss. We then continued further along the trail, moving closer to the endpoint. Leap-frogging with Haley, Kenny, Josh, and Anthony’s group to “The Niche”, both crews decided to call it a night.
            The remainder of the evening was spent sharing stories, enjoying impeccable scenery, cooking chili mac and Ramen, and indulging in M&M pudding with crappy (and questionably poisoned…) bread *cough* Anthony *cough*. The laughs were endless and echoed throughout the mountains and forest surrounding us, putting a big smile on my face as I lie down to sleep tonight.
            Currently I am writing in my sleeping bag while simultaneously listening to Kenny’s bedtime story from the other megamid… something about a loser named Bob heading to Imagination land on a hot air balloon-boat with his fat girlfriend Melissa. I’m not sure… but I do know that the ECOEE life is a good one filled with incredible, hilarious, and LOVING people whom I am so privileged to have grown close to over the past couple months and even more so the past couple nights.
            It’s only 9pm, but people are already snoring or soon to be asleep, so I’ll pick up on the cadence and shut off my head lamp to enjoy one last warm night’s rest before hitting the dusty trail in the morning, ending our 2nd backcountry expedition in the Sierra’s. Now we look forward to that glorious pizza promised from Jeff and cold chocolate milk promised by myself as we return to the simple missed luxuries of front-country life.


-Tiff


10/22/14
  Today was full of ups and downs, literally. We left Slab Lake and immediately started going up-hill, once at the top we were not sure when to head back down. We were not sure when to head back down. We were starting to get a little concerned because any way down looked unsafe. The view up there was breath taking so I didn’t mind being stuck all that much. We saw five deer sprint around Post Lake; we figured it was either a mountain lion or Jeff! We spotted a route down some red rock that was steep enough to scare me a few time. We saw Jeff down at the bottom where he pleasantly told us that this was not the end of our journey for today. He let us know that after tiffany’s lesson on weather, we were to be on our own and all meet back up Friday at noon. Our group took this chance to plan a hike up to post peak and summit the mountain we wanted to summit the peak earlier near the red rocks but didn’t because time constraints. After tiffany’s lesson we to post peak which was very hard even with the trail. We arrived out the top huffing and puffing, set our packs down and headed up post peak. ECOEE has introduced opportunities that scare me half to death multiple times. Summited post peak being one of them. We all shared a euphoric feeling up at the top and I immediately started back down. It was too intense to stay up there any longer. I feel like i am in a different reality here in the sierras. But whatever reality we are in this journal is right here in it with us. I think that is pretty cool.

-Haley Brasile 

No comments:

Post a Comment