Tuesday, November 4, 2014

10/29/14

Day 75, 29 October 2014

            At 7:16 AM I am sitting outside of my cabin at Los Angeles County Outdoor Science School. I am not sure what to write, mostly because the kids are up and I cannot hear myself think over the cacophony. It is amazing how none of these kiddies have any volume control. They scream to each other first thing in the morning, they scream to my cabin co-leader and I, they scream their answers to the teacher in class, they scream in the showers, they scream in the cafeteria, and they scream in the bathrooms. So it's hard to take the children seriously when I hear them scream to their friends to please talk (let's be real, it's screaming) a bit quieter.
            This is leadership that ECOEE has not prepared me for. Maybe if I'd seen Jeff lead these little psychos I would have some idea. But I have this gut feeling that simply sitting back, asking, "what do you think?" and shaking my head is not the way to deal with these small people.
            I did not join ECOEE at the same time as everybody else, so the decision to spend a week 24/7 (or at least most of it) and unable to escape from these kids is not mine. I'm not pointing fingers, but to me, if your map says "here there be witches" in some woods, you don't go into those woods. If you do, you get what Hansel and Gretel got in the original--Death. In much the same manner, if you hear, "locked in a cabin with 5th graders and unable to leave for the better part of a week," you, well, you know the old saying--"Nope!"
            [I can hear my cabin co-leader having issues, pardon me while I break to help.]
            My bad, the kids were screaming because Hunter is putting war paint on their faces. I mis-interpreted their vocalizations. They're crazy.
            I have literally nothing insightful to say about this week. It is all about survival. And I guess it only makes sense that my favorite week of ECOEE is followed by the (in my opinion, obviously) worst.

            I hope that Maximus is not like this when he is 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment