Tuesday, October 7, 2014

10/1/14

Today was a day built for contemplation. We got our first look at Wyoming. When we got in to our campsite last night in all of the wind, cold, and rain, I fully expected to wake up to a bleak, barren wasteland. Instead I woke up to gasps and "Look at that sunrise on those rocks--get a picture!" from those that woke up before me. And when I emerged from the tent, I realized that Wyoming is a big, beautiful place.
                The van ride was not bad, either. Some of the landscapes and views that we drove through were remarkable. Wyoming has hills, that is for sure. But then you reach places where you look out and can see farther than any person alive should be able to. Those views made me think.
                I thought about my friends back home painting our local graffiti corn crib (it's not a barn) in memory of Andy and Danny, and how improper it is for me to not be there. I thought about that Boy Meets World episode where Mr. Feeny moves to Jackson Hole, and I could picture Jeff living out here whenever (or if-ever) he hangs his blue fleece up and gets out of Macomb for good. I thought of my nephew, Maximus, and the teeth he has coming in.
                Those are, for the most part, trivial concerns. I got a bigger one when I saw a beat-up copy of Catch-22 in a bookstore today. I love that book. And as I flipped through it, a particular scene came to mind.
                The Chaplain, a timid, quiet, polite man had been living through some tough times. He was worried about his family back home since he was stationed in Italy. He had been seeing his friends come back dead, killed in action. He had been bullied by Colonel Cathcart and General Dreedle. And finally, at the end, his new best friend, Yossarian, is leaving. Leaving the Chaplain to live through the rest of WWII. Leaving him with his bullies. And leaving him with death. And leaving him alone.
                But the Chaplain isn't beaten into depression. Just as Yossarian realizes that he can solve and escape the madness of war and his own life, the Chaplain makes the decision to persevere. He'll stand up to what is bringing him down and he will make it out, just like his friend is.
                I've always found that to be hopeful and uplifting. It's something I can apply to ECOEE. After our weekend off, I've taken my foot off of the gas, so to speak. It's time to put on my big boy pants and buckle up for the longest part of ECOEE. Just like the Chaplain, I will persevere. And I'll be a better person for it.
                To quote Eric Mathews, "Life's tough, get a helmet." Life is tough; ECOEE is tougher. ECOEE will be the helmet that I put on to weather life.
                I hope that you all find your helmet and inner Chaplain. And if you can't find yours, I'll share mine with you.

                                                                                                                                Most Respectfully,

                                                                                                                                Anthony Killion

No comments:

Post a Comment