Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 12

8/27/14


Day twelve. Today was our second day at this awesome campsite. The day began at 7 am with a slow wake up by everyone. It seemed that no one had the time to cook anything for breakfast other than coffee. At eight we all met for another by Anthony that was eventually taken over by Jeff. Jeff had each cook group follow an orienteering course that led us in a triangular path into and out of the woods to test our understanding of how to use the compass. Each group ended up about 30 paces from their original starting point. Not bad, in my opinion, but Jeff still had a lot more to teach us. However, I did learn a lot and really appreciated the lesson on how to keep a bearing. I feel more confident in my ability to not get lost when I am armed with just a compass. After that I was scheduled to to give a lesson on topographical maps’ colors and symbols but it got rained out and pushed back to after lunch. My lesson went well despite Jeff stepping in when I started teaching more than just the map colors and symbols. I wasn’t that bothered by it considering saw it coming. Jeff sometimes feels like the big bad cop, but, every day I appreciate his expertise and experience more and more. Tomorrow is going to be a long hard day of paddling again and on top of that it will be our first portage. I’m nervous and excited at the same time. Thankfully we’re getting better at this stuff so our bear bags are getting hung faster and everything else seems to get done a little bit quicker, which is good because we’re going to be doing this stuff FA DAYS!

-Curtis Stark

No comments:

Post a Comment