Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 23

Day 23 9/7/2014
                As I sit here in Ontario Canada listening to group members speaking softly and settle in for the night I stay awake to think of something profound. I should like others to read what I have written and think of deeper meanings. I would like to describe the night, the breeze as it gently nips at my skin, the waterfall in the distance that rushes day after day, and the moon that is brighter than I have ever known it to be.
                But you know the most profound thing is that over a year ago I thought to myself, “You know that program looks interesting. Getting to do outdoor stuff for a semester sounds great.” I thought that it would be great getting to learn more about technical skills and of course becoming a better leader. Not once did I think about the other people who would choose the same path. Never did I think that I would need to evaluate someone on their ability to love.
                When I first saw this program l was comfortable with camping for months. I was comfortable with getting dirty. Getting to see nature every day. Now that I am here the nature that I have come for is quickly changing. I no longer see beautiful trees and sunsets. The nature has faded away. My focus is on the 12 minds that are here with me.
                The people here are profound. We have plenty of miles to go still and rapids to run. There will be good days and bad days but soon enough these late nights and early mornings will simply be memories and when we leave here we won’t just think of the views, we will think of the person to our left and to our right.  ECOEE is not Me it is We.

John 

No comments:

Post a Comment