Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 28

9/12/14


Today we totally rocked it! With a total of roughly 18 miles and 3 portages, this group made a push that was worthy of the big comfy campsite that we all call home for tonight. The day started out with a morning that no man, woman, nor child should ever have to experience. At about 6:15 am we were all, very reluctantly, out of our warm comfy tents and lacing still wet boots over still sopping socks. It’s an experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy. Not because it sucked, but because it would make my worst enemy a stronger person in the end. ”It builds character” and the old corny saying goes. But it’s true. No one was comfortable or all that motivated this morning but we somehow managed to push through and get the job done. After shooting through the last bit of Barrel Rapids we made it to calm smooth waters. I mean it was really some calm water. Being in the front of the very first canoe in our convoy I felt like I was floating through the sky because when I looked down it felt like I was looking up. The calm water made a perfect mirror. It felt like at any moment I might slip through the mirror and fall forever into the sky. I felt very at peace. The most at peace I think I have felt on this expedition. The calm serenity of the totally wild woods around me and the sound of only quiet paddle strokes made me feel very grateful to be where I was. It’s just one of those places in time that you never expect to be in. I try my hardest to be completely present in those moments and take them for what they are worth. There are only 6 more days left on our Missinabi journey if we can make it to Matice within that time. Either way, I can only imagine the overwhelming joy and sense of accomplishment that we will all feel when our boats slide up into what-ever shore and we can all officially say that we have made it. That impending joy is one of the main things that keeps me going. Because with this journey, the reward at the end is knowing that you did it. That WE did it. That a bunch of lazy college students pulled together with the help of one of the most amazing instructors in the country to pull off ~200 miles of canoeing in a month’s time. That’s something that only a very, very small handful of people can say they have done. I would love to be able to wrap up this journal entry with an inspiring quote but I can’t think of anything. I’m exhausted and the sound of these rapids is putting me to sleep. So may you all be happy, healthy, and peaceful. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment