Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 9

 August 24

            Day nine of our little expedition. The sun rose on a content, yet slightly disorganized group. We had encamped at the Bains' residence the night before and enjoyed their hospitality. They are a delightful couple.
            We awoke to high spirits after our sojourn into Wawa the night before. The general store had us in fits of laughter. Kenny bought a ridiculously awesome Canada onesie and the "introvert club" procured two bear hats.
            Today was, in my most humble opinion, the most overwhelming day. We were introduced to a good deal of stress and perceived risk. Our limits were given hints at what they will soon be pushed to. It will be a very interesting twenty-seven remaining days.
            This Missinaibi trip is going to force us to improve our canoeing skills, drastically. For me, that is packing a non-tippy canoe. For others, different skills. But this canoe trip also offers something good for us.
            This canoe trip is an opportunity for our group to get, so to speak, back to its roots. The qualities and skills being tested right now are the same proficiencies that this group developed and bonded over merely four months ago. If we focus over the next twenty-seven days, and really try, we will get back to what inspired and drove us then. And I truly look forward to that, because that was when and where I fell in love with each and every person here. Truly some of the best people--a slice of the personalities that make this field something that I cannot get enough of.
            But aside from the stresses of the day (BEAR BAGS WERE A TERRIBLE ORDEAL, BUT ALSO MADE FOR AN IMPRESSIONABLE TEACHALE MOMENT), it was not a loss. I heard loons this morning, and it was beautiful and haunting. The Birch Conifer Glaciated Forest that we are in is absolutely gorgeous, and I don't believe I will ever tire of staring at it.
            This is beautiful country and we ought to explore and appreciate it whilst we are here. Just today I saw a beaver dam and could imagine some trapper for Astor's company harvesting their pelts. It was quite the experience.
            The stars are beautiful tonight, and I am enjoying myself. But my fellow LOWs need me, so I must be off. We're really getting into it now. We're going to carpe the rest of our diems. To borrow from the French, allons-y!

                                                                                                Most Respectfully,

                                                                                                Anthony Killion

No comments:

Post a Comment