Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 33 & 34

9/17/14

The following entry is inspired by the children’s book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

I woke up this morning to the soft beep-beep-beep of my wrist watch. 5:30 A.M. And I knew it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

There was condensation on the outside of my sleeping bag. That could only mean one thing – it was freezing outside and considerably warmer in my sleeping bag. And I hate getting up in the cold. It was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

I pulled on cold clothes and damp socks. I laced up my wet boots. And I knew it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. I think I’ll move to Australia.

My tent group had Cream of Wheat for breakfast, but the stove wouldn’t work. We tried to borrow a stove from a different tent group, but the food tasted burnt. And I knew it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

As we packed our bags, it started to snow. Snow is September! While we had to paddle on a river! It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

There were twenty-three miles and nine portages ahead of us. And I had to be the navigator. I hate being the navigator! I knew it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. I think I’ll move to Australia.

My hands and feet were freezing while I sat in the canoe. My stomach began to rumble as we neared the afternoon. My back ached from the portages and my wrist hurt from when I slipped on the rocks. It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. And Ontario, Canada is nowhere near Australia!

But I was not alone in the sufferings of the day – I had my wonderful tent mates and the other expedition members to lean on. And as we laughed during debrief about all the misadventures of the day, I realized that the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days of ECOEE would come and go, but the bonds and memories we form will not fade. And they outweigh the challenges. As uncomfortable as it is, there is no place I’d rather be. Not even Australia.


Jillian Ross




I woke up at five am with enthusiasm. We actually made it! Our last full day of paddling on the Missinaibi River had finally come. I was anxious to get on the water I nearly inhaled my oatmeal while trying to pack up the last of my things into my not-so-dry bags. It is a weird feeling- knowing that the goal you’ve been working toward for the last month is coming up just around the bend and tomorrow, we will be arriving at Mattice and getting off the river. It feels so good knowing that this one last day of paddling will take me to a dry, fresh smelling pair of jeans and a clean t-shirt.
As I’m sitting in the canoe, feet numb and pained from the cold, face wind burnt to a crisp, muscles aching from the constant struggle to stay in a line and keep up with the boat in front of me; I have nothing to complain about. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, it’s a great day to be alive. Our clothes are dry and our spirits are high. There is nothing stopping us from reaching Mattice. We are all working so hard. I am pushing myself harder than I ever have before, physically and mentally. But this is what we do, day in and day out, and it hasn’t been easy. I can’t help but look back in nostalgia at our past 27 days on the fast-moving water. We have come a LONG way since Hawk Junction, not just in mileage but in character. Each day of this river expedition I’ve learned things about myself and about what living like a voyager really means. It means sacrificing your dry boots for a dry canoe, your dignity for the prosperity of others.
This is our expedition; and it is just the beginning of it. It’s crazy to think that we are just a month in, and it seems like just yesterday we were struggling to load our canoes onto a trailer. The weeks out here are so long, but the months fly by. Sometimes we forget what we came here for. We forget why this experience means so much to us. We can choose to look at the bigger picture; likw what our lives will look like in three months when this is all over or how far we’ve come in being leaders of the out-of-doors. As catchy as that sounds right now, I hope we choose to remember the small things. Singing in the vans with the music at full blast, passing out the second we step foot into our sleeping bags, sleeping in real beds at Kenny’s party house, laughing until we cry about how ridiculously similar our farts smell, and the simplistic beauty of nature. We saw falls, the moon, the winding bends in the river- and to top off our last day out here, in the cold September air, we looked up to the sky and saw the northern lights.
I can proudly say I am blessed to have this opportunity and blessed to have twelve of the best friends here with me. What we are doing out here is something we will share forever. We’ll have a semester’s worth of inside jokes and memories that no one will understand, but I think I’m going to like it.
 - Cassidy Depoy

No comments:

Post a Comment