Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 20

4 September 2014

            It is day twenty of the expedtion, and I am pleased with where our camp is. My group, after all, did find a toilet of sorts on wheels which made this morning much easier after last night's doughnuts. But regardless of where we are now, I will be happy to push on, deeper into Canada.
            I'm normally very happy to be out and about on the water up here (except for us using boats like canoes which tip over with the lightest of breezes), but the travelling has brought a melancholy note to mind.
            As I paddle along, I can hear the voice of one of my favorite professors in my head. He is loudest whenever we come across the prettiest of views: "Mr. Killion, it still astounds me that you want to do stuff like this. Wouldn't you rather stay indoors with the internet? Bahahahaha! I'm not serious. It is fantastic that this is what you love. Please do it every day. But I want you to remember, this land is not yours! Nor is it Canada's. We, white Europeans, stole it from other people. Just remember, as you paddle along, what you see used to belong to others with a history and customs as unique as your own." And I do hear you, Dr. Pearce, loud and clear.
            It is, I believe, important for us to keep in mind as we continue our semester. Yes, we took the land from others. That is terrible. But on the bright side, look at how lucky we are. We get to see and do things all across the continent that so few get the opportunity to do. That is awesome.
            But now I must apologize. I realize I have most of a page left in the journal to finish, but  I feel like Death right now. So, I will take care of myself to take care of the group. I am off to bed. Again, truly sorry about the length.
            To close, I will leave you with something Dan Harmon once said. He is a writer and said this in better and fewer words than I will, but I hope I am conveying the same sentiment:
            "We humans spend so much of our time trying to actively get better every day and reach 'perfection.' But in striving to reach perfection, think of all the time you've wasted and opportunities for natural, spontaneous improvement you missed by trying to artificially create your betterment and perfection. Just relax and live the finite life you have. You get better everyday just by living and being you. Just remember, you'll be perfect when you're dead."

                                                                                                Most Respectfully,

                                                                                                Anthony Killion

No comments:

Post a Comment